Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Dear Mom, Dear Dad

Parents’ anniversaries can be really confusing for kids. That’s when, at least for a day, they don’t see them as mom and dad but as husband and wife; two people, who were perfect strangers before they become perfect parents.

And I get a feeling that you too have slipped into the latter role far too much to notice how it all started. Remember the first time she smiled at you? Or the first time she cooked for you? The first broken button she sewed back on your shirt?

I’m sure you remember. These and many more memories that a bachelor can’t even begin to imagine. In the past 27 years, you must have built a sizeable bank of the same, many of which lie frozen in the photo albums. I’ll tell you my favourite. It’s the one that was clicked on Holi in Rajinder Nagar on the Grovers’ terrace. Both of you are painted in various combinations of CYMK. And you are flirting with her and she is blushing in approval. That’s probably the first time I saw you as a couple.

The greatest compliment a man or woman can pay to each other is, “I want to grow old with you.” And the two of you have already fulfilled that unsaid promise like few others have.

As someone who’s been a witness to 24 of those 27 years, this is what I have to say with a tinge of envy:

You guys still look good together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home